TUCSON, AZ (Tucson News Now) - It may have been over eighty-years since the capture of John Dillinger, Public Enemy No. 1, but Hotel Congress' tribute to the infamous outlaw and his apprehension by local law enforcement is bigger and better than ever. This year The Hotel Congress hosts a two-day spectacle in honor of the capture of America's most notorious outlaw by the Tucson Police Department and the Tucson Fire Department with a couple of exciting new additions.
The festivities commence with a fundraising Speakeasy at 7 p.m. on Friday, January 22 and continue with a free family-friendly, all-day event starting at 9 a.m. on Saturday, January 23.
This year Hotel Congress has partnered with Cox Communications to live stream all three re-enactments on their website! This is a monumental step to not only provide another live remote viewing area for the increasingly popular re-enactments in their Beer Garden, but gives all of America a chance to see the infamous Tucson capture.
In addition to the live streaming, The Hotel Congress is also including the exclusive Front Row Seat option, located on The Cup Café patio, for those who want to get up close and personal with the action. Tickets are only $20 and guests will also receive one brunch entrée, one drink ticket, and a commemorative shot glass.
The best part is that there are three re-enactments to choose from. Interested parties should purchase their tickets now as seating is limited.
The 2016 Dillinger Days festivities include:
- (3) Dillinger’s capture reenactments
- (5) Historic Hotel Congress Tours
- (4) Historical walking tours of downtown
- Vintage car show with over 100 cars
- (2) Historical lectures
- Special hotel room packages
- Display of Dillinger’s actual Tommy Gun
- Themed Art exhibit by Danny Martin
- Pop-Up Memorabilia museum
- Live music & entertainment
- Beer Garden with Borderlands Brewing Company, Barrio Brewing Co., Pueblo Vida Brewing Company
- (2) Vintage Fire Trucks, including the American LaFrance truck present at the 1934 fire
- (1) 25¢ screening of A Shriek in the Night, featuring Ginger Rogers, at The Screening Room starting at 4:30 p.m.
Friday, January 22 kicks-off the spirited celebration with Dillinger's Speakeasy and happens to be for a good cause with proceeds benefiting The Greater Tucson Fire Foundation. This is a guaranteed a good time with live music by Kings of Pleasure, turn of the century burlesque show, pop-up memorabilia museum, photo booth, a "John Dillinger" gun show, vintage car display, and cigar lounge featuring cigars from Anthony's Cigar Emporium, and nostalgia candy cigarettes and cigars. Tickets to the ages 21 and older event are only $25 and now limited to 100 guests. Get your tickets, dress in your 1930's best, practice the password (Dillinger's famous catchphrase "I'll be damned"), and get down to Club Congress.
The lucky Speakeasy ticket holders will also enjoy:
- Award-winning bites by The Cup Café, including their famous Thompson Automatics
- Specially-crafted Smoke & Irons brew from Borderlands Brewing Company
- Whiskey tastings, (9) varieties including Whiskey Del Bac and the nationally-coveted Pappy Van Winkle Bourbon
- A Tasting of the High & Tight, a specialty Whiskey Del Bac cocktail
Celebrate the icon and his capture at the hands of Tucson law enforcement, famously boasted for succeeding with Dillinger's arrest when the FBI couldn't.
For tickets, parking, or more event information please call The Hotel Congress at 520-622-8848 or visit their website at http://hotelcongress.com/events/january.