TUCSON, AZ (Tucson News Now) - Bruschetta with honey-basil ricotta, capicola, arugula - from Chef Daniel Martinez at Vero Amore.
• 1 1/2 Ricotta cheese
• 3-5 T Honey, depending on preference
• 3-4 T Basil, chiffonade
• TT Salt
• TT Pepper
• 1 artisan-type crusty bread, such as a baguette, sliced 3/4"-1" thick, on a bias.
• Olive Oil, to brush
• 1 head Fresh garlic
• Capicola, julienne (approximately 1.5-2 t per serving)
• Arugula, julienne (approximately 1.5-2 t. per serving)
• Extra Virgin Olive Oil, to finish.
• In an appropriate-sized mixing bowl combine the ricotta, honey, basil, salt, and pepper. Keep in mind the quantities given are approximate: If you want a sweeter ricotta, add more honey; less sweet, less honey. More basil, add more basil; and so on.
• Once well combined, set aside in the refrigerator, covered. This may be done ahead of time.
• Arrange the bread on a sheet tray (cookie sheet) in a single layer (use of parchment paper is optional) and drizzle with a bit of the olive oil.
• Toast lightly at 400-425 until just golden brown, about 1-3 minutes depending on preference. Note: The bread should be toasted but not crispy.
• Meanwhile, lop of the top .25-.5" of the fresh garlic bulb, to expose the tops of the cloves.
• Immediately upon removal from the heat, rub the head of garlic on each slice of bruschetta.
• Top with the honey-basil ricotta, followed by the capicola, arugula and extra virgin olive oil.