Local poison control warns of detergent dangers - Tucson News Now

Local poison control warns of detergent dangers

PIMA COUNTY, AZ ( Tucson News Now) -

It smells good and looks like candy to children, but laundry detergent pods can be extremely dangerous.  Two children have died from biting into a laundry packet. The National Poison Control Center has reported seeing a 17% increase in calls from 2013 to 2014.
 
Tucson News Now looked at the call volumes for Pima County. Here are the numbers of calls related to ingesting detergent pods from the Arizona Poison and Drug information center.
2013- 36
2014- 40
2015- 35
2016- 7
 
Poison control says if your child bites into a laundry pod, they may develop symptoms including vomiting, breathing problems and  burns to the throat.  Sometimes hospital treatment is required, and in some cases, kids may have to spend time in the intensive care unit.
 
Arizona Poison and Drug Center says one of the best ways to prevent a child from biting a laundry packet is to keep them in places where children can’t
reach or see them. If a child does bite a laundry pod you need to call poison control at 1-800-222-1222.


Copyright 2016 Tucson News Now. All Rights Reserved.

  • Trending StoriesTrending StoriesMore>>

  • Water moccasin invades home, puts family into action

    Water moccasin invades home, puts family into action

    Friday, May 25 2018 2:57 PM EDT2018-05-25 18:57:52 GMT
    This water moccasin entered a family's home. (Photo courtesy Krystal King)This water moccasin entered a family's home. (Photo courtesy Krystal King)

    An unwelcome visitor was cause for some tense moments and quick action in the King household Saturday morning. Krystal King says it was about 7 a.m. when Stephen, her oldest son, came into his parents' room to notify them about the "big snake in the bathroom."

    An unwelcome visitor was cause for some tense moments and quick action in the King household Saturday morning. Krystal King says it was about 7 a.m. when Stephen, her oldest son, came into his parents' room to notify them about the "big snake in the bathroom."

  • 'In lieu of flowers, kill a drug dealer': Mother pens brutally honest obituary after son's suicide

    'In lieu of flowers, kill a drug dealer': Mother pens brutally honest obituary after son's suicide

    Friday, May 25 2018 8:57 PM EDT2018-05-26 00:57:08 GMT

    It's every mother's worst nightmare. On Thursday, April 12, Shawn Winkler shot himself in the head in the garage of his Leland family home. He died three days later at 30 years old.

    It's every mother's worst nightmare. On Thursday, April 12, Shawn Winkler shot himself in the head in the garage of his Leland family home. He died three days later at 30 years old.

  • Police release body cam footage of I-95 shooting death

    Police release body cam footage of I-95 shooting death

    Friday, May 25 2018 11:21 PM EDT2018-05-26 03:21:37 GMT
    Marcus-David Peters was shot and killed by a Richmond police officer on Monday, May 14. (Source: Richmond Police Department)Marcus-David Peters was shot and killed by a Richmond police officer on Monday, May 14. (Source: Richmond Police Department)

    The Richmond Police Department released body camera and surveillance camera footage on Friday of the shooting death of Marcus-David Peters.

    The Richmond Police Department released body camera and surveillance camera footage on Friday of the shooting death of Marcus-David Peters.

Powered by Frankly