TUCSON, AZ (Tucson News Now) - The Pima County Health Department (PCHD) is updating a story Tucson News Now first brought you on Thursday, about a child that was poisoned by a face cream containing mercury.
PCHD officials are recommending the public stay away from two brands of cream in particular "Mireya" and "Nene Gardoqui". This determination was made after Health Department officials investigated the original case of exposure in the child.
Health Department officials are also asking those that have these products in their home to discontinue its use immediately and bring it to the City of Tucson Household Hazardous Waste Program drop off site. Do not throw it out in the trash or wash it down the drain, mercury is a hazardous material and should be properly disposed of.
The exposure that led to this investigation was isolated and involved only those who lived in the home. It does not pose a risk to the neighbors or the community.
- Do not use creams containing mercury.
- Exposure to mercury can have serious health consequences, causing damage to the kidneys and nervous system, it can also interfere with brain development in unborn and very young children.
- Check the label of any skin lightening, anti-aging or other skin product you use. If you see the words “mercurous chloride,” “calomel,” “mercuric,” “mercurio,” or “mercury,” stop using the product immediately. Not all ingredients may be listed, if you have purchased a skin cream or other skin product from Mexico and you are not sure contact the Arizona Poison and Drug Information Center (800)-222-1222.
Those that suspect they have been using a product with mercury, stop using it immediately. Thoroughly wash your hands and any other parts of your body that have come in contact with the product. Contact a health care professional or a medical care clinic.
Further questions, please call the Arizona Poison and Drug Information Center at 800-222-1222.