Police records detail late night standoff in Tucson - Tucson News Now

Police records detail late night standoff in Tucson

Jeremy Lee Nelson (Source: Tucson Police Department) Jeremy Lee Nelson (Source: Tucson Police Department)
TUCSON, AZ (Tucson News Now) -

A man at the center of a police standoff in Tucson talked about a shoot out with police hours before being taken into custody in a shopping center parking lot, according to police records.

Jeremy Lee Nelson asked an acquaintance for a ride to the airport and mentioned a shootout with police while she drove. She told police Nelson wanted to stop at a Walmart first, where he dropped a handgun in a trash can then picked it back up and returned to her white van.

The arrest report shows Nelson's acquaintance was afraid and contacted police. She told them about his gun and propane tank when an officer arrived on scene.

More officers responded to the area of Drexel and Tucson Boulevard to asses the situation. Hostage negotiators and the mental health unit were called in, according to police records.

Nelson told officers they were trying to kill him and that he only wanted to speak with U.S. Marshals or deputies from the Pima County Sheriff's Department.

Tucson Fire Department was called in because several officers worried about the smell of propane, but the air quality was okay, according to TPD documents.

A couple officers noted in their reports that Nelson appeared to be using methamphetamine or crack. He fell asleep at one point and officers managed to break a window in the van, according to the report.

Nelson asked for water and cigarettes at one point, but would not leave the van to retrieve them. The reports state he did the same thing for dog food and water, but again, wouldn't leave.

TPD tried using pepper bells around the van, but Nelson did not move, according to police records.

The report states that when Nelson started talking about what should happen to his dog and referencing his own death, officers decided to take action.

They breached the van door, restrained Nelson, used a taser and arrested him before he could fire his gun. It was loaded with a round in the chamber, according to police records.

The standoff lasted approximately six hours. Nelson is in the Pima County Jail on a $25,000 cash bond.

Court records show that Nelson is charged with possession of dangerous weapon by a felon. TPD added the following statement to Nelson's interim complaint:

"Second incident involving criminal misconduct and threats to the public in a 48 hour period. The defendant has demonstrated and displayed several homicidal and suicidal ideations in addition to acquiring firearms."

According to Pima Count Superior Court, Nelson was convicted in 2002 for burglary and drug charges.

Copyright 2016 Tucson News Now. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly