TUCSON, AZ (Tucson News Now) - Fox 11 Daybreak is helping you celebrate National Pizza Month with Nonna Maria's.
Frank Palazzolo shares with us his Chicago style pizza recipe!
Nonna Maria's Chicago Style Pizza
- id="gmail-yui_3_16_0_1_1476161460003_21045">1 1/2 cups of warm water (about 110 degrees F)
- 1 (1/4-ounce) package active dry yeast
- id="gmail-yui_3_16_0_1_1476161460003_21048">1 teaspoon sugar
- 4 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup of vegetable oil, 2 teaspoons to grease bowl
- id="gmail-yui_3_16_0_1_1476161460003_21051">1 teaspoon of salt
In a large bowl combine the water, yeast, sugar ,stir. Let it sit until mixture is foamy, about 5 minutes. Add 2 cups of flour,half a cup of oil and the salt, mixing by hand until it is all incorporated and the mixture is smooth. Continue to add the flour, 1/4 cup at a time working the dough after each addition, until all the flour is incorporated, but the dough is still slightly sticky.
Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth but still slight tacky, about 5 minutes. Add 2 teaspoons of oil to grease large bowl. Place dough in bowl ,cover with plastic wrap set in warm place, 1 to 1 1/2 hours .
Divide in 2 equal portions.
- id="gmail-yui_3_16_0_1_1476161460003_21109">3 tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil
- id="gmail-yui_3_16_0_1_1476161460003_21115">2 tablespoons of fresh chopped garlic
- 2 teaspoon of basil
- id="gmail-yui_3_16_0_1_1476161460003_21118">1 teaspoon oregano
- id="gmail-yui_3_16_0_1_1476161460003_21121">1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon of red pepper flakes
- 1 (28ounce) can plum tomatoes, coarsely crushed
- 1 tablespoon of dry vino rosso
- 1 teaspoon of sugar
- 1 pound of mozzarella cheese
- 8 ounces of sliced pepperoni
- 8 ounces of fresh sliced mushrooms
- 1 red onions sliced
- 1 pound of Italian sausage
- 1 cup of grated Parmesan
While dough is rising, make the tomato sauce. In a medium saucepan, heat 2 tablespoons oil, over a medium-high heat. Add the garlic, cook and stir for 30 seconds.Than add herbs, salt, black and red peppers, cook and stirring for 30 seconds.
Add the tomatoes, vino, sugar, and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until thicken 25 minutes. Remove from heat, and let cool. In 2 seasoned 14"deep dish pans with extra-virgin olive oil. Press 1 piece of dough in each pan, pressing the edge and stretching 1 1/2 inch up the sides for 5 minutes.
Layer the mozzarella cheese on the bottom of the pies. Top each with half of the pepperoni ,fresh sliced mushrooms ,red onions and Italian sausage.
Ladle the sauce evening over each pizza and top with grated Parmesan. Bake until crust is golden ,about 30 to 35 minutes.
Remove from oven and serve.