TUCSON, AZ (Tucson News Now) - Devon Sanner from Downtown Kitchen joined us to make Scallop Ceviche for this week's "What's For Lunch" Segment.
Downtown Kitchen and Cocktails is located at 135 South 6th Avenue. For more information. visit their website at http://downtownkitchen.com/
- 1 each 2 ounce diver's scallop, sliced very thinly
- 5 strips Mango, cut in two inch long julienne
- 5 strips Pickled watermelon rind, cut in 2" long julienne
- 3 each Candied jalapeno rounds
- 1 tsp Jalapeno syrup
- 1 tsp Mint syrup
- 1 Tbs Spicy Oaxacan peanuts
- 1 oz Coconut milk leche de tigre
- 3 each Mint leaves for garnish
- 1 pinch Coarse flake salt
- Lay sliced scallop on a chilled plate.
- Sprinkle with a pinch of coarse salt.
- Drizzle leche de tigre thinly on scallop
- Arrange mango, pickled watermelon rind, candied jalapeno, and Oaxacan peanuts attractively on scallop.
- Drizzle mint syrup and jalapeno syrup over scallop.
- Place mint leaves atop for garnish
Coconut Milk Leche de Tigre (Yield: 1 quart)
- 3 Cups Coconut Milk
- 2 Cups Lime juice
- 1/4 Cup Shredded Ginger
- 3 Tbs Fish sauce
- 3 Tbs Soy sauce
- 2 Jalapenos, seeded and chopped
- Puree all ingredients in blender until jalapenos are completely pureed.
Pickled Watermelon Rind (Yield: 1 quart)
- 1 qt. Watermelon rind, cleaned of all green skin
- 1 each Jalapeno, split and seeded
- 1 Tbs. Black peppercorns, cracked
- 2 each Star anise
- 2 each Bay leaves
- 1/2 cup Cooked beets, roughly chopped
- 1 cup Red wine vinegar
- 1 cup Rice wine vinegar
- 3/4 cup Sugar
- 1/2 Water
- 1 tsp Kosher salt
- Julienne watermelon rind. Blanch and shock rind – it should yield to the tooth, but not be too soft.
- Combine spices and beets into a sachet. Add sachet to a saucepot with the vinegars, water, sugar, and salt. Bring to a boil.
- Remove brine from heat and pour over watermelon rind.
- 3 jalapenos, sliced into rounds and seeded
- 1 jalapeno, cut in half lengthwise and seeded
- 1 Cup Heavy simple syrup
- Simmer the jalapenos in the simple syrup until they soften a bit
- Remove from heat and puree the simple syrup with the two halves of the jalapeno, reserving the slices.
- Put the slices back in the syrup.
For the Heavy Simple Syrup: (Yield: 1 1/2 Cup)
- 1 Cup Water
- 1 Cup Granulated sugar
- Bring water and sugar to a simmer to melt the sugar.
Mint Syrup (Yield: about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 cup Mint leaves, blanched and shocked
- 3/4 cup Water
- 1 1/2 cup Sugar
- Make heavy simple syrup by boiling sugar and water. Brush down sides of pot to prevent recrystallization.
- Cool syrup thoroughly, then blend with blanched and shocked mint leaves in blender.
Oaxacan Peanuts (Yield 1 pound)
- 1 pound Raw, skin-on peanuts
- 1 oz. Blended olive and canola oil
- 1 Tbs. Ancho chile powder
- 1/2 tsp. Chile pequin
- To taste Lime salt
- Crush chile pequin with mortar and pestle, then mix with ancho powder and oil.
- Toss peanuts thoroughly in chile oil to coat.
- Roast at 350 F, stirring every 15 minutes, until done (approximately 45 min. – 1 hour)
- Season with salt into which a lime has been zested. (1 lime per 1/4 pound salt).
Copyright 2017 Tucson News Now. All rights reserved.