TUCSON, AZ (Tucson News Now) - Easter Bread - Nonna Marias
- 2/3 c milk
- 2 1/2 c bread flour
- 1/4 c sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 3 eggs
- 4 dyed eggs
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/8 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp anise
- orange zest
- 3 tablespoons multicolored sprinkles
- In large bowl, combine 1 cup flour, sugar, salt and yeast; stir well. Combine milk and butter in a saucepan; heat until butter is softened but not melted.
- Gradually add the milk/butter to the flour mixture; stirring constantly. Add vanilla & anise, orange zest, Add two eggs and gradually add 1/2 cup flour; beat well. Add the remaining flour, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring well after each addition. When the mix turns into a dough, place it on a l floured surface and knead until smooth about 8 minutes.
- Lightly oil a large bowl, place the dough in the bowl and turn to coat with oil. Cover with saran wrap and let rise in a warm place until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- Place the dough onto a lightly floured surface. Divide the dough into 4 equal size rounds; cover and let rest for 10 minutes. Roll each round into a long roll about approx 14 inches long and 1 1/2 inches thick. Using the two long pieces of dough, form a loosely braided ring, leaving spaces for the 4 colored eggs. Pinch the ends of the ring together and use your fingers to slide the eggs between the braids of dough.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F . Place loaf on a buttered baking sheet and cover loosely with a damp towel. Place loaf in a warm place and let rise until doubled in size, about 45 minutes. Brush risen loaf with egg wash & place the sprinkles.
- Bake in preheated oven for 40 minutes, or until golden.
Copyright 2017 Tucson News Now. All rights reserved.