TUCSON, AZ - After a day full of Pac-12 competition, UA advances to day two of the 2017 tournament.
The No. 3 seeded Arizona Beach Volleyball team opened up Pac-12 Championship play on Thursday with a sweep against the Cal Bears, (5-0). UA then advanced to the second round of competition where they fell to the No. 2 seed, UCLA, (2-3), to continue competition in the contenders bracket. The No. 3 seed went on to meet Stanford in the contenders bracket and came out with a resilient win.
The Wildcat's No. 1 pair of Madison and McKenna Witt earned the first victory of the day for the Cats as they downed, Bryce Bark and Olivia Rodberg in consecutive sets, (24-22, 21-8). Hailey Devlin and Sam Manley picked up another win against the Bear's No. 3 duo of Grace Campbell and Nicole Anderson, (21-15, 21-11). Arizona's No. 4 tandem, Brooke Burling and Mia Mason clinched the win for the team as they defeated Iya Lindahl and Madison Dueck in straight sets, (21-19, 21-16). The No. 2 pair of "Olivia's", Olivia Macdonald and Olivia Hallaran took down Cal in a close second set to take the match, (21-15, 24-22). To clinch the sweep, UA's No. 5 duo of Natalie Anselmo and Halli Amaroclosed out the match after a three-set battle against Teya Neff and Bridget Gustafson, (17-21, 21-17,15-11)
Later that day, the No. 4 pair of Izzy Carey and Jordan Anderson picked up the first win for UCLA against the Cat's Brooke Burling and Mia Mason, (21-13, 21-19). The McNamara twins, Nicole and Megan earned a victory against the UA No. 1 duo of Madison and McKenna Witt in a close two sets, (21-19, 21-18). Hailey Devlin and Sam Manley fell to UCLA's Torrey Van Winden and Elise Zappia with a close one in the second set, (14-21, 22-24). UA picked up a win as the No. 5 tandem of Natalie Anselmo and Halli Amaro defeated Savvy Simon and Lily Justine in straight sets, (21-16, 25-23). To close out the match, the No. 2 pair of Olivia Macdonald and Olivia Hallaran rallied it out taking the match to a third set, but falling to Kamila Tan and Madi Yeomans, (23-21, 10-21, 13-15).
Shortly after competition against UCLA, Arizona went on to defeat Stanford, (3-2). Witt twins of the No. 1 Arizona pair earned the first victory of the day, as they took down Jenna Gray and Kathryn Plummer in consecutive sets, (21-14 21-18). The Wildcats No. 5 tandem of Halli Amaro and Natalie Anselmo put another point on the board for Arizona as they defeated Chelsea Red-Horse Mohl and Kat Anderson, (21-17, 21-11). Stanford picked up a win as their duo of Morgan Hentz and Caitlyn Keefe defeated No. 4 pair of Hailey Devlin and Sam Manley. In a hard-fought three-set battle, UA's No. 2 team of Olivia Hallaran and Macdonald dropped to Payton Chang and Ivana Vanjak, (21-17, 14-21, 13-15) tying the overall team scores, 2-2. In a battle match, UA's No. 4 pair of Mia Mason and BrookeBurling pulled away with a victory after a tightly contested match against Stanford's Catherine Raquel and Shannon Richardson, (20-22, 12-21,15-11).
Arizona now holds a (17-9) overall record. The team will open play Friday at 10 a.m. MST to take on Washington.
After a team champion is crowned, pairs competition will begin to decide a pairs champion on Saturday.
Arizona 5, California 0
1. McKenna Witt/Madison Witt (ARIZ) def. Bryce Bark/Olivia Rodberg (CAL) 24-22, 21-8
2. Olivia Macdonald/Olivia Hallaran (ARIZ) def. Jessica Gaffney/Camille Stepanof (CAL) 21-15, 24-22
3. Hailey Devlin/Sam Manley (ARIZ) def. Grace Campbell/Nicole Anderson (CAL) 21-15, 21-11
4. Brooke Burling/Mia Mason (ARIZ) def. Iya Lindahl/Madison Dueck (CAL) 21-19, 21-16
5. Natalie Anselmo/Halli Amaro (ARIZ) def. Teya Neff/Bridget Gustafson (CAL) 17-21, 21-17, 15-11
UCLA 4, Arizona 1
1. Nicole McNamara/Megan McNamara (UCLA) def. McKenna Witt/Madison Witt (ARIZ) 21-19, 21-18
2. Kamila Tan/Madi Yeomans (UCLA) def. Olivia Macdonald/Olivia Hallaran (ARIZ) 21-23, 21-10, 15-13
3. Torrey Van Winden/Elise Zappia (UCLA) def. Hailey Devlin/Sam Manley (ARIZ) 21-14, 24-22
4. Izzy Carey/Jordan Anderson (UCLA) def. Brooke Burling/Mia Mason (ARIZ) 21-13, 21-19
5. Natalie Anselmo/Halli Amaro (ARIZ) def. Savvy Simon/Lily Justine (UCLA) 21-16, 25-23
Arizona 3, Stanford 2
1. McKenna Witt/Madison Witt (ARIZ) def. Jenna Gray/Kathryn Plummer (STAN) 21-14, 21-18
2. Payton Chang/Ivana Vanjak (STAN) def. Olivia Macdonald/Olivia Hallaran (ARIZ) 21-17, 14-21, 15-13
3. Morgan Hentz/Caitlyn Keefe (STAN) def. Hailey Devlin/Jessica Manley (ARIZ) 21-18, 21-18
4. Brooke Burling/Mia Mason (ARIZ) def. Catherine Raquel/Shannon Richardson (STAN) 20-22, 21-12, 15-11
5. Halli Amaro/Natalie Anselmo (ARIZ) def. Chelsea Red-Horse/Kat Anderson (STAN) 21-17, 21-11
Copyright 2017 Arizona Athletics. All rights reserved.