TUCSON, AZ (Tucson News Now) - Ibarra Chocolate Mole Sauce
Yield: 6 cups
Time: 3 hours
Ingredients: Part One
- 2 cups dried cascabel chile, remove stem and seeds
- 2 Large dried ancho chile, remove stem and seeds
- 2 tablespoons dried cumin seed
- 1 tablespoon whole clove
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons dried anise seed
- 4 garlic cloves, smashed
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 cup pecans, chopped
- 1 cup pepitas
- 1/2 cup dried corn
Ingredients: Part Two
- 1 1/2 cups ibarra chocolate chopped
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 6 cups hot water
- 1 poblano pepper, remove stem and seeds and rough chop
- 1 large white onion, rough chop
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves
- In dry large pan toast the Part One ingredients on low heat until fragrant.
- Transfer to a mortar and pestle or metate and grind into near fine paste then return paste to the pan.
- Add the ingredients from Part Two and stir occasionally over very low heat covered for 2 hours.
- Cook the mixture until the sauce can coat the back of a spoon and the chiles are soft.
- Remove from heat and blend until all the chunks have been removed and a fine smooth rich sauce emerges. The sauce will thicken slightly when blended and will continue to thicken while cooling.