ORO VALLEY, AZ (Tucson News Now) - In partnership with the Music and Dance Academy, the town of Oro Valley is launching its new Kids Concert Series. The new series "provides an intimate, interactive experience for young children and their families where they can explore the sights, sounds and workings of instruments and dance."
"The Music and Dance Academy is celebrating more than 20 years in Oro Valley," said Economic Development Manager Amanda Jacobs. "It was a natural fit to partner with them to offer this quality series and promote the Town's arts, culture and business retention efforts."
This free concert series will take place the first Saturday of each month now to May 2018.
Here are the concerts for the remainder of 2017 and beginning of 2018 (don't forget to mark the calendar!):
Saturday, December 2, 2017 in Council Chambers - Nutcracker Story
- Come hear the story of the Nutcracker as you've never experienced it before! The instrumental trio will perform dance favorites from this ballet, while telling the enchanting holiday tale. Think you'll miss the dancing? Not a chance! Concert goers will be guided and transformed into toy soldiers, candy canes, snowflakes, Russian soldiers and more, becoming the dancers in this classic holiday tradition. If you just love the music or you've always wanted to dance in the Nutcracker, come and join us!
January 6, 2018 at Children's Museum Oro Valley - 11015 N. Oracle Road, Suite 101 in Steam Pump Village
- Instrument Petting Zoo; Music and Dance Academy. Interact with musical instruments and then play at the Children’s Museum! *(Admission: During event from 10am—11am—FREE. $6 after the event. Kids under 12 months get in for free)
Saturday, February 3, 2018 in Council Chambers - The Musical Story of Civil Rights
- Learn interesting facts about the early life of Civil Rights leader Martin Luther King, Jr., interwoven with musical selections to be sung and performed by the audience. Featured musical works include: We Shall Overcome, Battle Hymn of the Republic and more!
Saturday, March 3, 2018 in Council Chambers - The Dixie Ducks
- Hatched in the heart of New Orleans, the Dixie Ducks are the first of their species to leave the pond and form a musical group! Come scat and quack along with the frizzy-feathered combo and explore the quintessentially American art form of jazz.
Saturday, April 7, 2018 in Council Chambers - What's Old is New Again!
- Enjoy old fables, nursery rhymes and tales told by our musicians in a fun and interactive way! Research has shown that nursery rhymes help children to develop speech, while fables teach us valuable lessons. Sing, dance and move to illustrate the best of these favorite songs & tales!
Saturday, May 5, 2018 in Council Chambers - Global Groovin'
- Enjoy a fun journey around the world with our groovin’ musicians! Move and groove to tunes from throughout the glob
View the entire 2017-18 lineup, including location information, by clicking here or pasting this URL into your browser: https://www.orovalleyaz.gov/business/calendar/oro-valley-kids-concert-series.
Thank you to community partners: Dr. JAW Orthodontists, Greater Oro Valley Chamber of Commerce, McDonald's (1st/Oracle) and Smashburger.
Since 2011, the Town of Oro Valley has offered free concerts to residents and visitors of all ages, and it will continue to do so through its other monthly concert series offerings, including the Steam Pump Ranch Concert Series, Community Center Concert Series and Oro Valley Marketplace Concert Series.
Learn more about the Town's arts and culture offerings at www.orovalleyaz.gov