Apartment fire in midtown leads to four floors of evacuations - Tucson News Now

Apartment fire in midtown leads to four floors of evacuations

TUCSON, AZ (Tucson News Now) -

Tucson Fire Department responded to a midtown apartment fire on Saturday morning that resulted in residents living on all four stories having to be evacuated. Thankfully, no people or pets inside the units were injured.

The fire was in the 2400 block of N. Haskell Drive, which is near Grant and Alvernon.

A maintenance worker called 9-1-1 when he noticed a mattress on fire inside one of the third-story homes. The sprinkler head inside the apartment activated, which helped keep the fire under control. There was a lot of smoke as a result of the fire, which made visibility difficult for fire crews on scene. A ladder truck was used to fan and clear the air, while another unit worked to shut off the sprinkler system inside.

Units on all four floors of the complex were evacuated for safety. TFD credited the working sprinkler system as a big reason why the fire was able to be contained so quickly. The fire was called under control within 22 minutes of crews arriving.

The cause of the fire was determined to be from smoking materials.

Copyright 2017 Tucson News Now.

  • Trending StoriesTrending StoriesMore>>

  • McDonald's customers sue over paying for cheese on burgers

    McDonald's customers sue over paying for cheese on burgers

    Sunday, May 27 2018 6:35 AM EDT2018-05-27 10:35:01 GMT
    Sunday, May 27 2018 6:35 AM EDT2018-05-27 10:35:01 GMT
    The plantiffs claim McDonald's has been overcharging them because they have been paying for cheese they didn't want nor receive. (Source: Flickr)The plantiffs claim McDonald's has been overcharging them because they have been paying for cheese they didn't want nor receive. (Source: Flickr)

    The plaintiffs claim McDonald's has been "unjustly enriched" because customers have been paying for cheese they don't want.

    The plaintiffs claim McDonald's has been "unjustly enriched" because customers have been paying for cheese they don't want.

  • Grieving couple unable to cremate stillborn, conjoined infants due to NC law

    Grieving couple unable to cremate stillborn, conjoined infants due to NC law

    Sunday, May 27 2018 2:24 AM EDT2018-05-27 06:24:37 GMT
    Sunday, May 27 2018 2:24 AM EDT2018-05-27 06:24:37 GMT
    A North Carolina law on cremation procedures forbids the cremation of more than one person within the same cremation chamber. (Source: WRAL/CNN)A North Carolina law on cremation procedures forbids the cremation of more than one person within the same cremation chamber. (Source: WRAL/CNN)

    A North Carolina law on cremation procedures forbids the cremation of more than one person within the same cremation chamber.

    A North Carolina law on cremation procedures forbids the cremation of more than one person within the same cremation chamber.

  • Water moccasin invades home, puts family into action

    Water moccasin invades home, puts family into action

    Friday, May 25 2018 2:57 PM EDT2018-05-25 18:57:52 GMT
    This water moccasin entered a family's home. (Photo courtesy Krystal King)This water moccasin entered a family's home. (Photo courtesy Krystal King)

    An unwelcome visitor was cause for some tense moments and quick action in the King household Saturday morning. Krystal King says it was about 7 a.m. when Stephen, her oldest son, came into his parents' room to notify them about the "big snake in the bathroom."

    An unwelcome visitor was cause for some tense moments and quick action in the King household Saturday morning. Krystal King says it was about 7 a.m. when Stephen, her oldest son, came into his parents' room to notify them about the "big snake in the bathroom."

Powered by Frankly