Faulty gas valve prompts evacuations in Green Valley - Tucson News Now

Faulty gas valve prompts evacuations in Green Valley

Businesses reopened at about 10:15 a.m. on Thursday, Nov. 30, after the gas leak was stopped. (Source: Green Valley Fire District) Businesses reopened at about 10:15 a.m. on Thursday, Nov. 30, after the gas leak was stopped. (Source: Green Valley Fire District)
GREEN VALLEY, AZ (Tucson News Now) -

A Green Valley business was evacuated on Thursday, Nov. 30, because of a faulty gas valve that resulted in a strong odor of gas.

According to the Green Valley Fire District, a realtor reported smelling the odor when he arrived to his office in a shopping center at 18745 S. Frontage Road at about 8:30 a.m.

Firefighters from three engine crews found several concentrations of potential natural gas, so nearby businesses were evacuated and the area was cordoned off.

Southwest Gas and firefighters found the faulty valve in a restaurant and shut off the leak.

Businesses reopened at about 10:15 a.m. after they were ventilated and tested.

MOBILE USERS: Download the Tucson News Now app for Apple and Android devices.

Copyright 2017 Tucson News Now. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly