TUCSON, AZ (Tucson News Now) - The Tucson Fire Department is investigating a home where six people were made sick by possible toxic gasses on Wednesday night, May 16.
The toxins are believed to be from a group of live coral inside a fish tank.
TFD also learned that the coral was transferred to another house on Tucson's East side, where crews are heading to ensure the resident's safety.
A statement from TFD on Thursday, May 17, said the fire department was not called to the scene near I-19 and West Valencia road at the time of the incident.
Tucson News Now went over to Natural Reef Creations near Speedway and Craycroft to learn more about live coral and spoke with Nicholas Mrozwski.
Mrozwski is the co-owner of the store and a coral hobbyist. He tell us, not all coral can cause harm. There is a specific type that has palytoxins in it.
According to Mrozwski, the problems come when people are handling it or cutting it. There is a liquid that comes from this coral that people can come into contact with.
The result, shortness of breath, extreme chest pain and swelling to the face. That is why six people are being treated for this toxin at a local hospital.