Cochise County residents are being encouraged to prepare for monsoon season by taking advantage of free sandbags and following life-saving safety advice.
The County's Highway & Floodplain Department will once again provide sand and sandbags at several locations convenient to people who live in flood prone areas.
However, residents should note the County does not have the manpower to fill and load the sandbags. Citizens are advised they will need to fill the sandbags themselves and are asked to bring their own shovel.
Additionally, staff are cautioning residents to be aware of flooding dangers and to follow advice from government agencies, weather services, and other public information outlets.
This advice includes not crossing flooded washes or going around barricades. When approaching a work zone or barricade, drivers should proceed with caution, abide by all posted speed limits and traffic control, and be alert for any dangerous or unusual conditions.
For more information about monsoon season safety visit https://www.cochise.az.gov/highway-and-floodplain/monsoon-awareness
Free sand and sandbags are available at the following locations, where the sandbags will be inside a metal drum next to the sand:
Monday through Thursday, 7 a.m. to 3 p.m.:
- Bisbee Roadyard, 1229 Hereford Rd.
- Douglas Roadyard, 3665 N. Leslie Canyon Rd.
- Willcox Roadyard, 500 W. Railroad Avenue
- Benson Roadyard, 901 E. 4th Street
- Elfrida Roadyard, 3988 W. Thompson Road
Cochise County Hereford Pit Material Yard: approximately half mile East of Y Lighting Road – This location has limited hours during the work week of Monday through Thursday. It is best to make arrangements by calling 520-432-9300.
Sandbags are available at any time from the following locations:
- Coronado Lakes Estates (Douglas) — off Cipriano Dr. at the Water Tanks
- Willow Lakes Subdivision (Benson) — at the Water Tank
- Elfrida Fire Department, 10293 N. Central Highway
- Whetstone Fire District, 2422 N. Firehouse Ln., Whetstone
- Palominas Fire (Hereford Station), 10202 E. Highway 92
- Palominas Fire (Miracle Valley Station) 9695 E. Highway 92
- Palominas Fire (Palominas Station) 9903 S. Palominas Road
- Portal Area – Intersection of Foothills & Portal Road
- Bowie Area – 766 W. Business Loop off I-10