'I didn't want to die': Teen survives nearly 10 hours adrift in - Tucson News Now

'I didn't want to die': Teen survives nearly 10 hours adrift in ocean

Blake Spataro was on the beach when a tide pulled him into the ocean. Not even the U.S. Coast Guard could find him. (Source: WAWS/CNN) Blake Spataro was on the beach when a tide pulled him into the ocean. Not even the U.S. Coast Guard could find him. (Source: WAWS/CNN)

ST. SIMONS ISLAND, GA (WAWS/CNN) - A 19-year-old is safe after he said he spent nearly 10 hours in the ocean fighting for his life.

It happened off the Georgia coast where he said he was pulled out to sea while on the beach.

"Worst vacation ever, but also my most exciting," said Blake Spataro.

But its the kind of excitement everyone would like to avoid.

"I was out there sitting by the shore when a rip tide washes me straight into the ocean," Spataro said. "I didn't want to die out there, I was talking to God the entire night."

He screamed for help but no one heard him over the waves and wind and he continued to get pulled out to sea.

"I wanted to live, I wanted to live," he said. "I was too young to die and I simply didn't want it to end there."

The U.S. Coast Guard searched in the sky and by boat along with multiple other agencies.

Spataro's father Kirk Krycka spent all night walking along the beach searching for his son.

"I was screaming," Krycka said. "I was hollering, I was looking."

Throughout the night the Spataro did his best to stay calm.

"Whenever I was tired, I floated on my back," he said.

He was about to give up, but then a ray of hope.

Lights from an approaching Coast Guard boat boosted his spirits.

"That gave me some comfort and gave me some motivation to keep going," Spataro said.

He kept pushing through until he came across a golf course early the following morning where he got help.

"I'm alive," he said.

"I've been in the coast guard for 18 years and I have never seen anything like this," said Justin Irwin a senior chief with the U.S. Coast Guard.

Irwin visited Spataro in the hospital to let him know how amazed and proud he was.

"I am truly blessed to be alive today," Spataro said.

Spataro was able to get close enough to that golf course to make his own way shore.

Copyright 2018 WAWS via CNN. All rights reserved.

• Raycom reportsRaycom reportsMore>>

Trump-Putin summit opens without talk of election meddling

Monday, July 16 2018 12:15 AM EDT2018-07-16 04:15:15 GMT
    Monday, July 16 2018 8:49 AM EDT2018-07-16 12:49:20 GMT
    President Donald Trump and Russia President Vladimir Putin shake hands before holding a private meeting Monday in Helsinki, Finland. (Source: CNN, Pool)President Donald Trump and Russia President Vladimir Putin shake hands before holding a private meeting Monday in Helsinki, Finland. (Source: CNN, Pool)

Monday's meeting was condemned in advance by an assortment of members of Congress from both parties after the U.S. indictment last week of 12 Russian military intelligence officers accused of hacking Democrats in the 2016 election to help Trump's presidential campaign.

New Mexico passenger bus crash kills 3, injures 24 others

Sunday, July 15 2018 12:40 PM EDT2018-07-15 16:40:07 GMT
    Monday, July 16 2018 8:41 AM EDT2018-07-16 12:41:03 GMT
    Authorities say a crash involving a passenger bus and three other vehicles on a highway in New Mexico has killed three people and sent 22 others to the hospital. (Source: CNN)Authorities say a crash involving a passenger bus and three other vehicles on a highway in New Mexico has killed three people and sent 22 others to the hospital. (Source: CNN)

Police: Suspect dead after wounding 3 Kansas City officers

Sunday, July 15 2018 2:28 PM EDT2018-07-15 18:28:56 GMT
    Monday, July 16 2018 8:40 AM EDT2018-07-16 12:40:41 GMT
    (Source: KHSB/CNN)(Source: KHSB/CNN)

Authorities are searching for a suspect in the shooting of two police officers in Kansas City, Missouri. Police spokesman Jacob Becchina said Sunday that the officers' conditions aren't available.